fbpx Skip to content

Birth Stories – Kerry

Kerry ~ Busselton Health Campus ~ 9th December, 2017

My birth story

The day that I gave birth to my son Hendrix was a long day. When I woke up on Saturday morning I immediately felt small niggly feelings which I thought a little strange because I wasn’t due to have my son for another 17 days.

Despite getting the niggly feelings I got myself and my children ready for the day, it was my sons birthday party so I had a lot to get ready, I was still feeling the niggly feelings so I called my midwife I wasn’t in pain and nothing was regular so she told me to go about my day they were between 7-10 minutes apart for the rest of the day. At this point, I hadn’t told anyone apart from my partner and family that was staying with me for the night and of course my photographer. The pains were still coming and going so I was positive I would have him that night or early morning I felt calm and semi in control my partner was a little nervous because this was his first biological son and kept asking me if it was time to go to the hospital yet haha. I was keeping in touch with the midwife and my photographer with how I was feeling/ progressing. As the day turned into evening the pains were still 10ish minutes apart and were slowly getting stronger and lasting a bit longer , i wanted to get my children into bed and double check that I had everything I needed before going to hospital, once I finished kissing my kids goodnight I told my partner it was time to go and contacted my photographer to let her know.

We got to the hospital at around 9 pm on Saturday the 9th of December my contractions were coming on reasonably strong once I was settled in the room the midwife asked to do an internal that I agreed to and I was 7cm dilated , I chose to sit on the gym ball until my contractions got too intense and I asked the midwife if I could finish my labor in the bath, at this point Jodi had arrived and introduced herself to the midwives and spoken to me about what she was going to do, to be honest, I didn’t even notice that she had been taking photos except when she asked if it was ok to use her flash.

I ended up in the bath with my partner using the showerhead on my back until the bath filled up to ease the pain of every contraction which was very painful and regular the warm water was helping a lot and despite being in pain I felt in control of my contractions and my body knew when it was time to start pushing. My partner was as supportive as he could be in a situation where he had no control he went between holding my hand (which I heard Jodi suggest to him haha) and sitting on the chair watching me in  fascination at what was happening  and finally after a few pushes and me catching my baby boy Hendrix was born at 10:30 pm on the 9th.

Through all of this Jodi was amazing I hardly noticed she was there and she captured the most stunning photos of my last babies birth I couldn’t be happier.

BOOK to capture your birth story with Jodi Byles Photography here

Jodi Byles Photography © 2013 ~ 2023